4.25.2010

Marina Abramovic, Hyena of the High Plains

Marina Abramovic... a response to "for seth"
[link to original "marina abramovic" post]

The information in the "for seth" post actually fits perfectly with the comment I was going to make earlier. It's not that I've "got it out for her [Abramovic]." It's that I think she's a phony. She's a wanna be guru/spiritual-leader/head-master/dominatrix perpetrating as an artist. And the info you posted backs up that idea. It's classic. She set that up, inviting people to act violently toward her, and then when she gets what she wants, she uses it as justification to totally control people. I think the video you posted of her b.s. reality-show-spiritual-retreat is a perfect example of her true aspirations. Every piece of "art" she sets up is an opportunity to extend her black-clawed hand and take more "power" for herself. She's feeding her vacuous soul on the lives of others. She's a kind of Voldemort of the art world. Or a hyena of the high plains. She identified a savannah with easy prey, and she set out to stalking and eating the flesh of the feeble minded.


***addendum***


I just found this on wikipedia.org:


In an interview published in 1998, she [Abramovic] described how her "mother took complete military-style control of me and my brother. I was not allowed to leave the house after 10 o'clock at night till I was 29 years old. ... [A]ll the performances in Yugoslavia I did before 10 o'clock in the evening because I had to be home then. It's completely insane, but all of my cutting myself, whipping myself, burning myself, almost losing my life in the firestar, everything was done before 10 in the evening."


Her work is all about control.  She's picking up where her mother left off. 



1 comments:

Ash said...

I think her work is as much about freedom as control. Isn't self control the ultimate freedom? she has no real control over anyone else. ppl only choose to be a part of her pieces. Also i think she is constantly trying to abandon a sense of ego, which a lot of her work is about. you think her agenda is about furthering herself, but i think it is ideas and art that she is trying to further. like many artists she wants her ideas to be admired by posterity. I think what she's doing is noble and novel.

there is no art

Apture

Followers

Blog Archive